Hummus is a Levantine Arab food dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. It is popular throughout the Middle East and in Middle Eastern cuisine around the globe.
Served with fresh or toasted pita bread, hummus makes for a great snack or appetizer. Tahini is an important part of the hummus recipe and cannot be substituted. A very healthy dip indeed.
- 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or steamed chickpease
- 4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas or steamed chickpease
- 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.
- Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).
- Serve with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.